The discipline of software engineering has evolved with the introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices. New skills and approaches help organizations deliver software-centric solutions faster, more predictably, and with higher quality.
During this three-day, workshop-oriented course, attendees learn the foundational principles and practices that make up the Agile Software Engineering discipline. Attendees learn how continuous flow of value delivery and built-in quality are enabled by modern practices including XP technical practices, Behavioral-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
Attendees learn proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe Continuous Delivery Pipeline. They will know the practices that build quality into code (abstraction, encapsulation, intentional programming) and designs (SOLID, Design patterns). Attendees also understand how Software Engineering fits into the larger solution context and their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
Who should attend
Scrum Master, Agile Coach, Consultant, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Senior Manager
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile Principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles, and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
What Attendees Get
The class registration includes:
- Student Workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certification of completion
- Certified SAFe 5 Agile Software Engineer certification upon passing of exam
- One Certification exam attempt (re-takes at an additional fee)
Completion of this course gives you access to the exam and all related study materials as part of your Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform.
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® Agile Software Engineer is to attend the SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineering course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineer Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineering course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs US$ 50,–.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.